- It is completely possible to have a healthy baby if the mother (or father) has diabetes.
- Diabetes will not prevent you from having a healthy baby. You will need to take care of yourself, in order to avoid complications.
- The mother has to make sure to take extra care (manage ones blood sugar, consult a medical provider, watch ones health, etc.) of herself while pregnant and while becoming pregnant.
- Start planning 3 months prior to the pregnancy.
- Maintain regular contact with your doctor. Discuss medical risks for you and your baby associated with diabetes.
- Take care of yourself in all aspects such as blood sugar, diet, yoga, exercise, etc.
- Blood sugar management is very important because high blood sugar may lead to increased birth weight, and low blood sugar also has negative impacts.
- To have a healthy baby, the mother has to be healthy.
- It is advisable to keep blood sugars between 70 and 110 mg/dL during pregnancy.
- Your doctor may recommend folic acid capsules for 3 months before pregnancy. You should talk to your doctor about this.
- Your doctor may also recommend vaginal delivery to reduce risk of infection and healing for the mother.
- It is important to understand and plan accordingly for any situations that may arise before or after pregnancy.
- There is a negligible chance the child will have diabetes if only the mother is diabetic. The parents should be prepared.
Information and images from www.penpalsunited.org are from or inspired by Living the Sweet Life with Diabetes: The Art of balancing insulin, diet, and exercise by Dr. Santosh Gupta, MD, MRCP (UK), CDE. You can access the book here: http://manavseva.org/downloads/book-english.pdf .
The Penpals United website does not contain medical advice. Any contents of this website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material, are intended for informational and educational purposes only and not for the purpose of rendering medical advice. Such contents are not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.