Topic 1: Understand what Peer Leadership is, your own strengths and weaknesses, and expectations for a peer leadership program
Topic 2: Effective Communication
Effective communication is important because your group will have a lot of discussion, questions, and talking. You should understand how to best listen to and talk to your peers. You should also know how to help your peers listen to each other and communicate with each other. The following skills will teach you how to communicate and how to help peers communicate.
- Active listening
- Examples of Open Ended Questions
- Questions that can create conversations?
- Examples of affirming what the person speaking said?
- Hints for Active Listening?
- Why is Active Listening important?
- What is an example of an open ended question?
- What are the signs of active listening?
- Tips for presenting
- Tips for visual aids
- Communication Essentials
- Tips to improve communication
- Why is it important to have basic rules?
- How do you know a question is not an open ended question?
- Which presenting trait is not effective?
- Establishing trust
- Ensuring confidence while leading
- Controlling the discussion
- Techniques to aid others in understand material
- What is one thing you can try if you think someone is too shy to share emotions?
Topic 3: Talking about Education
This topic will discuss specific strategies to best teach information.
Topic 4: Talking about sensitive topics
This topic will discuss specific strategies to talk about emotions and sensitive discussions.
Topic 5: Creating Meaningful relationships among participants
Bonding through shared experiences, interests, and points in life
Topic 6: Specifics of being a Penpals United Peer Leader
Topic 7: Special Circumstances and Specific Populations